Re: Transfer of files from laptop to desktop

Trey Sizemore wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 21:35, Naitik Shah wrote:

Easiest would be to install ssh on your linux box, and use a SFTP client
(many freely available) to connect to your linux box, and well, copy the
files as if you're using ftp!

Can you get online from your laptop? I mean, can you ping anything else
on the internet from your laptop? If not, the network configuration
might not be working too well.

Naitik.

I have both ProFTPD and WU-FTP installed on the desktop (along with Webmin), but have not
established my own FTP server before.  Could someone give a pointer as
to how to set this up to get the files from the laptop to the desktop?

Thanks.

It is very simple.

Step 1: apt-get install bsd-ftpd OR apt-get install wuftpd
Step 2: check that your iptables rules (if any) allow incoming port 21
Step 3: fire up ftp client in w2k and give it the host (IP, or hostname
        if you run DNS), username, and password
Step 4: copy