Re: Convert realaudio to free audio ???

At Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:13:55 -0400,
Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> Gavin Hamill wrote:

[...]

> > Since mplayer can play realmedia (it may need you to install
> > the binary realplayer for some of the very new formats, but
> > I'm unsure on this point), it can also send the output to a
> > file... try something like
> >
> > $ mplayer proprietary.rm -oa pcm -oafile=open.wav

I think that should read:

$ mplayer proprietary.rm -ao pcm -aofile open.wav

[...]

> How do you do that for video files?

Use the companion mencoder program.  The command would be
something like:

mencoder -oac [some_audio_codec] -ovc [some_video_codec] \
  proprietary.rm -o less_proprietary.codec

> My school does some courses over the web with streaming video
> (WMV, of course).  After the class session they make the whole
> WMV video available as a download.  I've been burning them to
> CD, but I hate to keep them in WMV format, I'd rather use an
> open format.  Speaking of which, what is a good open format for
> video (preferably one that MPlayer supports since I already
> have it).

Open?  WMV is an open format.  Thanks to all those hackers
working on projects like mplayer, xine and ffmpeg.  Perhaps you
mean a free, "you won't be threatened ever with a patent
infringement suit" format?  You might try checking out
<http://www.theora.org/> and the Matroska (maybe google can
spell-check that one for you ;-) project.