Re: BUG in package, what to do?

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 at 18:09 GMT, A. Loonstra penned:
> John Hasler wrote: [snip]
>>
>> So the problem has already been reported.  There are two things you
>> can do:
>>
>> 1) Submit a patch that fixes the problem.
>>
>> 2) Wait.
>
> How long would it take, normally?
>
> Arnaud.

Between 1 day and 1 year, or never, depending on the time and
inclinations of the maintainer and developers.

Open source projects often depend on a little thing we like to call
"volunteer labor."  That means that we, as users, should be grateful for
the fact that people care enough to maintain this stuff and to make it
available for our use.

If you really care about having a given feature available, you have two
choices:

1) Figure out the fix and submit the patch yourself

2) Contact the developer and negotiate a price that will make this fix a
priority for them.  If this seems odd to you, bear in mind that thus far,
you've been getting the product for free.

--
monique