System refuses to load uhci instead of usb-uhci

Hi, Currently on boot, my system is loading the usb-uhci module.  I am
trying to change that to get it to load the uhci module instead.  I am
running a custom 2.4.22 kernel if that matters.  I want uhci instead of
usb-uhci based on the following output I get from a lspci -v | grep HCI
command:

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 50) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 50) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

Based on some input from the hpoj list, I added the following line to
the aliases file in /etc/modutils and ran update-modules:

	alias usb-controller uhci

That did not work, usb-uhci still loaded after a power down and reboot
(I was also told that a simple modprobe -r usb-uhci followed by a
modprobe uhci would not work and to power down the system after
changing) - shades of that *other* operating system.

So, then based on information in the FAQ at linux-usb.org, I removed the
previous line I added and added the following lines instead:

	alias usb uhci
	post-install uhci modprobe printer

Again after running update-modules powering down and rebooting usb-uhci
still gets loaded!!!!

Help - any ideas on how to get this to work????

Lou Losee