Re: module-init-tools and modutils

Hi,

Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@chartermi.net> writes:

> If I understand correctly, the package module-init-tools is for 2.6
> kernels, and the modutils components for 2.4 kernels (rmmod, lsmod,
> insmod) are being renamed with a .modutils extension in debian unstable.
> I am running debian unstable, and just had trouble installing a commercial
> package (oss from opensound.com) because apparently other distributions
> (suse, redhat, slackware,
> mandrake) are renaming their 2.4 modutils components with .old. I had
> to redo all the links from my commercial package so they pointed to the
> files in /sbin with the .modutils extension.

Your commercial software is buggy. Why does it need to know the full
name of the binary? From the module-init-tools manpages (e.g. man
insmod)

"This  version of insmod is for kernels 2.5.48 and above.  If it detects
       a kernel with support for old-style modules (for which much of the work
       was  done  in userspace), it will attempt to run insmod.modutils in its
       place, so it is completely transparent to the user."

so the software only needs to call insmod, independently of the
kernel installed, or wether module-init-tools is installed or not.

A question: what would happen if module-init-tools is not installed, and
therefore, only insmod exists, not insmod.old nor insmod.modutils?

Best regards,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.