Re: module-init-tools and modutils

Cheryl Homiak wrote:
If I understand correctly, the package module-init-tools is for 2.6
kernels, and the modutils components for 2.4 kernels (rmmod, lsmod,
insmod) are being renamed with a .modutils extension in debian unstable.
I am running debian unstable, and just had trouble installing a commercial
package (oss from opensound.com) because apparently other distributions
(suse, redhat, slackware,
mandrake) are renaming their 2.4 modutils components with .old. I had
to redo all the links from my commercial package so they pointed to the
files in /sbin with the .modutils extension.
I'm certainly not saying debian has to do everything the way everybody
else
does it, but I'm wondering what the reason is for doing it differently. I
would imagine this could also create some problems installing
non-commercial packages that aren't debian packages.
Thanks.

Actually, the way I understand it, the application should simply call
rmmod, lsmod, modprobe, etc.  The application should not check and try
to call a specific version of the tool.  What should happen is that if
you are running a 2.4 kernel and you have the new module-init-tools
installed, it will realize that you are running a 2.4 kernel and pass
the call to the old version of the program.

I have VMWare installed on my machine and I have both modutils and
module-init-tools and everthing works like should.

-Roberto