Re: Release statusus

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:43:42PM +0200, Neo wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> 	so, sumarizing for my situation: it's no use tracking a
> unstable 'release' because it just isn't that: a release, and never
> will be.

Never.  You are correct.

> It's stabiblity level will vary over time, (for instance
> tomorrow somebody might decide to drop linux 2.6.0-test6 in unstable)
> while the testing release's stability will increase untill it's
> mature enough to become a stable release. (After which testing will
> fall back again, I presume, to testing's level of stability.)

Kernel packages do not upgrade except for minor debian packaging
version.  Any change from say 2.6.0-test6 to 2.6.0-test7 will be
different package and you must manually choose to install them.

> 	Then why not take the logical step, pick a kernel release
> (or combination of linux/hurd/*bsd releases), put a name on it,
> put it in testing and let it grow to a stable release? This name
> sid just confuses things, in my humble opinion.

By the way, kernel-image-* is the current linux kernel binary
distribution names.  Please get used to how packages are named.

Good luck and cheers.
Osamu