Re: Release statusus

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 12:14, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:57:37AM +0200, Neo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	is sid frozen?
>
> No. Some people are slowing down uploads in an attempt to stabilize
> things.
>
> > 	I'm currently tracking sid/unstable on a pre-production
> > machine, waiting to use Gnome 2.X from a official stable release.
> > What is more sound to use in /etc/apt/sources.list, a reference to
> > sid  or one to unstable?
>
> They're equivalent.
>
> > More generally, does a 'named' release (ie. woody, sarge, sid) indeed
> > go from unstable to testing to stable?
>
> sid is always unstable; unstable is always sid. Other codenames go from
> testing to stable to oldstable to archive.debian.org.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Hi Colin,

	thanks for your answer but I would like to get some cla-
rification on this to be absolutely sure, because I put a lot
of work in this, sorry.

	As I understand your answer, sid is the exception, ie.
always equivalent to unstable, just the content changes. If so,
when? And more importantly, when does the content of the current
sid/unstable move over to stable and under what name?

Sincerely,

Jan.

PS I must be missing something essential about the whole Debian
release system, because I don't get it all.