Re: how to build Debian 2.4.20, -21, or -22 kernel package for woody?

Sebastian Kapfer wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:40:09 +0200, Daniel B. wrote:
>
> > What exactly do I need to do to build locally for woody a Debian kernel
> > package based on a kernel version from testing or unstable?
>
> (1) ...

> (6) ...install your shiny new *.debs.
>
> Phew, I hope I didn't forget anything ;-)

It seems not.

> You might have to fiddle with
> the initrd stuff a bit to get it working.

That prediction seems to have been correct.  Everything up to booting
the new kernel went fine.

However, when booting, after these normal messages:

  VFS: mounted root (cramfs filesystem)
  Freeing unused kernel memory: 108k freed
  warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
  NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET 4.0.
  Journalled Block Device driver loaded

I got the messages:

  modprode: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-22
  mount: /dev2/root is not a valid block device
  modprode: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-22
  mount: /dev2/root is not a valid block device
  modprode: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-22
  mount: /dev2/root is not a valid block device
  warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
  pivot_root: No such file or directory
  /sbin/init: cannot open dev/consoel: no such file
  Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

So, what kind of "fiddling with initrd" might I need to do?
(I'm not familiar with fiddling with initrd except for adding
an initrd kernel to my Lilo configuration.)

Where do I start?  (Where does initrd configuration live?  In the
kernel source tree?  Oh...I see something in /etc/mkinitrd/modules.
Is that used by "make-kpkg --initrd...?)

Thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay