Re: 802.11(b|a|g) cards in Linux

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 08:20, BruceG wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2003 23:50, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > I've been looking more at getting a wireless card for my laptop lately
> > as my university is now nearly 100% covered with wifi access. I know
> > that there is already good support for 802.11b cards available, but I'd
> > prefer to go with something more modern. Preferably either a 802.11g
> > card, or a combo 802.11a/b card. But I'm wondering how good the support
> > I can expect is. Is anyone successfully using any combo cards or a g
> > card in Linux? Any particular things to look out for? Recommended
> > brands, chipsets, etc?
>
> Look for the MadWiFi project. I was able to succesfully install and use a
> Linksys Wireless A+G PCI adapter in my desktop running SuSE 8.2 and madwifi
> drivers from CVS. There are some people on the list that have installed A/B/G
> cards in laptops, and some who are running Debian - so it is doable.
>
> I ended up pulling the card out of my desktop and going wired Ethernet as the
> distance between my desktop and my WAP is a bit far and goes through a few
> walls. SIgnal strength was low and speed was low. I'm thinking of centrally
> locating my WAP this weekend and re-installing the Wireless A+G card again.
>
> Hmmm, project of the weekend. Either go wireless (again) or try to get Debian
> Woody running on my desktop. I couldn't quite figure out Alsa last time.

Thanks very much for the heads up about the madwifi project. I just went
out and picked up a Linksys 802.11A+G PCMCIA card for my laptop, and
after a bit of fiddling, got it up and running. It's working great!

As for getting alsa up and running, you can always ask for help here.
Personally, after the first couple of times I've found it relatively
simple. If you're using a pre-built kernel, you can just install the
corresponding alsa-modules package. If you're building your own kernel
(like I do), install the appropriate kernel-source and alsa-source
packages. During installation of alsa-source, you'll be asked to select
which cards you want to support. Select the appropriate card(s) and then
do a "make-kpkg modules_image" followed by "dpkg -i
newly-created-alsa-deb" and you're more or less all set. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837