Re: Holy Spam!

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:25:16 -0400, Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> penned:
> I've had very good success with the following:
> 1) Send all e-mails with your name not listed as a receipient to a
> probable spam folder.  After a few weeks of tweaking (mailing lists and
> newsletters will get send there too) you will find just about everything
> in there the probable spam folder is spam -- and can be deleted
> accordingly.
> 2) Anytime a major virus comes up filter out common text in the message
> body if it comes through.
> The following are useful if you know a language like Perl and can pipe
> your mail through it (not very hard):
> 3) (A little more tricky) Create "Whitelists" -- people who you know you
> can trust.  Any mail from these people gets sent to your inbox -- don't
> accidentally delete an important e-mail!
> 4) Anything with .pif, .bat, .exe attached is probably spam.  Quarantine
> it (unless it's from your somebody on your whitelist).
> 5) Make anybody e-mailing to your address who is not on your whitelist
> (besides listservs!) respond to an automatic reply to be added to your
> whitelist.  Most spammers won't respond (although people on the listserv
> may get angry and block your e-mail. See caveat re: listservs).
> 6) Keep a listserv list and other lists in a database so it is portable
> wherever you go.
> This has successfully helped me send over 2k emails to /dev/null today.
> I highly recommend it.
> -Dan

I do all of the above with spamassassin and tmda.  I don't use the
challenge/response method; instead I changed the default action to
"hold," so that I can look at unfamiliar email when *I* want to.  You
can also change the default action to deliver to some mailbox for later
perusal.  (tmda's c/r system is fairly smart about not emailing
challenges to lists, though.)

I find tmda's rule syntax a lot easier to handle than procmail's, but I
use procmail, too, for some prefiltering.

There are a ton of anti-spam and mail-filtering packages out there;
putting them in place properly may take some time, but it sure has
reduced my frustration level.

Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both.  (Group preferred.)