Re: Anyone else notice that Swen is slowing down?

Michael C. writes:
> I wasn't aware that you can do this (unless you maintain different
> partitions for each user.)

I am assuming that we are talking about single-user machines under central
administration.  On a multi-user system you could give the power user a
directory on an exec-mounted partition and symlink it to bin/ in his home
directory.  You could also just move his home directory to an exec-mounted
power-user partition which he would share with other power-users.

I would be very resistant to such requests on a multi-user system.

Michael C. writes:
> I've seen plenty of examples of what this feature is used for, which is
> one of several reasons that I typically avoid MS.

My only experience with Windows was running NT on a client's machine for a
few months in the mid-90's.  The machine was not on any network.  Examples,
please?  I really am curious.

> How else is a virus supposed to propagate?

By doing something clever.  Tricking the user into clicking is too easy.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)