Re: does debian xfree support my video?

VEGH Karoly wrote:
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:08:23AM -0600, skippi wrote:

Greetings all.

I have acquired a new motherboard. It's an Intel D865GBF. The onboard video controller is Intel Extreme Graphics 2, 82865G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub, 865G chipset. Is this supported under the Xfree that comes with Woody? Or am I going to be having to do lots of building from source? I have found a

have a look at:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/graphics.htm

It says you'll need X 4.3, but it also said this to my i845G VGA, and yet it works fine on my SID:

Just in case you end up needing X 4.3, here is the source that I use:

deb http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386/ ./

That is probably your best bet. Otherwise, I would recommend downloading the sources from:

http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/

I would get, xfree86_4.3.0.orig.tar.gz, and the latest sid branch (updated daily). Unpack them and, assuming you have the debian package building tools installed, go the parent directory of the source tree and issue a dpkg-buildpackage. Go to sleep or watch a movie, and in a few hours you have yourself a set of Debian packages for XFree86 4.3.

The good thing about this approach is that you don;t have to worry about confilcts once the official packages make it into Sid. If you have installed a tarball from xfree86.org, it is possible things will get srewed up when you try to upgrade later.

Just my $.02

-Roberto