GCC 3.3 Questions: Should I Install? Should I install with ProPolice?

I am trying to figure out Linux with the help of O'Reilly's /Running
Linux/.  It recommends that I do not install new versions of compilers
unless absolutely necessary just in case things get broken by the new
version of the compiler.

I really want to install GCC 3.3 with ProPolice
(http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp/) enabled by
default.  Will this really make compiling programs problematic?  Can I
keep two versions of GCC on my system just in case it breaks things?
How would I go about doing this?

Thanks in Advance,

Dan