Re: Nat & startup

debian-user@lists.debian.org:

Adrian wrote:
> I configure NATing...

I use an old P166 box as a dedicated firewall/ NAT router with a
purpose-built GNU/Linux distribution:

    http://smoothwall.org/

Features:

- The install is very easy (curses, with hardware detection).
- WAN, LAN, and/or DMZ interfaces.
- I use Ethernet for WAN, but it also does modems (ppp) and possibly
  others.
- Administered via http or https from the LAN.
- Easy to set up routing rules, address and port translation, DMZ
  pinholes, etc.
- Includes VPN and some other goodies that I haven't used yet.

Be *sure* to check the hardware compatibility list. (I had problems with
Intel NIC's.)

David