Re: Debian for Joe Average

I would go for Debian and install it for them. Once installed debian is a breeze (stick to woody and let them loose on aot-get/apt-cache).

The best bit of advice I have heard for newbees is use the distribution your mates use (then when you have got the hang of that make your own judgment).

The easiest to install is probably Mandrake (based on Redhat). In fact Knoppix and run the HD install utility is also a quick and easy option but the installer is unstable and it is only an option if knopix installes/probes OK. And its based on Debian.

The other thing to bear in mind is alough redhat/mandrake have an apt-get type util the packages are not centrely manages so there can be incompatibility/dependenct problems.

Ben