Re: upgrade a packge

Vivek Kumar wrote:
Hi there,

I need help to upgrade a certain package. I used following command:
apt-get upgrade perl
Once I do this it gives me a list of packages and goes back to the
prompt. I see perl-base in the list.
Can I upgrade single package ?? There is sendmail also in the list so if
I upgrade all the packages I am afraid that sendmail will also get
upgraded and so is the configuration files. I don't want to affect my
mailing system.
Any Help !!

One of the nice things about apt/dpkg is that it will never overwrite your config files if you have changed the. It will always stop and ask you. You can either view a diff or drop to a shell and examine the files, then you can accept the new config or reject it. It is very good about that, and I have never had a configuration accidentally overwritten (except when I hit the wrong key on the keyboard).

-Roberto