Re: ACPI gnome applet for battery

David Fokkema wrote:
> Well, what is a lot? I think I can confirm this. It takes a constant
> 3.0% on my 2.8Ghz, which would be about 17% on my previous 500Mhz
> laptop. I would consider that a lot, yes.
>
> Maybe a bug report?

The kernel's acpi implementation in /proc is very slow. I am not clear
on how much of the delay is real CPU load, most of load might be due
to waiting for a slow ACPI system. In wmbattery's acpi support, I found
it best to allow the delay between updates to be tunable by the user,
and make the default for ACPI 3x as long as it is for APM. At least this
keeps the apparent load average down.

It's also possible that this program is doubling the time of each update
by reading the acpi info files when it only needs to read the status
files.

--
see shy jo