Re: cdrecord gives buffer underrun warnings

Op ma 29-09-2003, om 19:33 schreef John Spray:
> Joris Huizer wrote:
>
> >cdrecord.mmap: WARNING: This causes a high risk for
> >buffer underruns.
> >
> >Can anybody tell me what to do to solve this?
> >

> This has to do with you burning as a normal user rather than root.  It's
> possible to configure your way around this issue.  See
> http://www.abo.fi/~jmunsin/gcombust/FAQ.shtml (just one item that a
> quick google on the subject turns up).  Personally, I burn as a normal
> user in spite of this error message, and don't have any problems (ATA133
> HDD, 512MB RAM, Athlon XP 1800+).
>
> John Spray

I normally burn as root but want to allow users to do this also so i
tried what the gcombust doc says.
Here it won't work since /usr/bin/cdrecord is 755 own=root,grp=root
In other words, being a cdrom group will not help since only root
can start cdrecord. If you do 4755 it will work but according to the doc
this is a security issue and i cannot see why.
So somebody can invoke cdrecord on my computer, big deal. What am i
missing and how can you allow a normal user to execute cdrecord.

Bbenedict