Re: Debian uptime 497 days

* Kyle Loree (kyle@caisnet.com) [030929 08:58]:
> I have two Debian severs that were installed on kernel 2.2.x and are now
> 2.4.17-686-smp.
>
> one has seemed to have been restarted.
> 09:41:45 up 2 days,  4:26,
>
> in reading http://e-zine.nluug.nl/hold.html?cid=158  the uptime returns to
> zero after 497 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 53 seconds
> it states that it is only a kernel 2.2.x bug, but according to
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg49872.html
> is it still in the debian kernel.  Has it been, or will it be removed in 2.6 ?
>
> the other system is at 486 days 16 hours 36 minutes, and I expect that it will
> do the rollover in another 11 days.
> is there anything I can do so that the uptime will be retained?

Why?  Your uptime is the amount of time your machine has been running,
not the output of the uptime command.  Just because you overflow a
32-bit number with it, it doesn't mean your machine is any less stable.

You could grab the source for uptime(1) and modify it to reinterpret the
number before printing it, to add 500 days (or any arbitrary amount) to
it.

good times,
Vineet
--