Re: Little Help Please

XDebian@aol.com wrote:
Hello,
I'm Trying to trying to buy a new motherboard for Debian 3.0 Woody. I'm hoping that you would recommend some new motherboards (Support P4 or AMD doesn't matter) that I would have no problem installing debian on. I'm a new user, so I'm kind of lost here. I appreciate your help and thanks for your time.

You probably only need to hit the "send" button once (seven copies of the message ended up on the list).

As far as motherboards go, I believe that Via chipsets are the best supported under any flavor of Linux. Though, I have an nForce2 motherboard that is pretty nice, but it has onboard ethernet for which there is only binary drivers available (meaning that I have to get them from nVidia and install them into the kernel, which just an extra step of hassle). I would definitely not recommend an nForce board for a Linux newbie.

Depending on what you will use the machine for, you need to decide on whether you want onboard network/sound/video/whetever. The more stuff you get offboard, the more choice you have. If you just don't care and want a machine that will let you surf the web, check email, and use a word processor, then the cheapest motherboard you can find with onboard everything should do you fine.

-Roberto