Re: How to Image a Flash card?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:01:37 -0700, Vineet Kumar <vineet@doorstop.net> penned:

> If a drive isn't partitioned, 'sda1' doesn't really mean anything, so
> this might not work.  You could try to cat 'sda' instead, which should
> get the whole drive image, partition table and all.  I've never tried
> this with usb mass storage devices like CF or SD cards.
>
> It could be that there is no partition table at all, and that something
> like mkfs.vfat /dev/sda might do the trick.  I don't really know about
> the details of these cards, just what little I know from using them with
> my digicam.  If all else fails, it's worth a try.

I don't know if this is really related, but my keychain usb drive came
with the partition info already set up such that it had a vfat partition
on /dev/sda1.

Also, I remember that zip drives (remember those? heh), at least the old
100MB ones, would always show up as the 4th partition (/dev/hda4,
/dev/sda4, whatever).  I never tried repartitioning, but that's how they
were set up by default.

Can you run parted or some other fdisk-y tool on it just to see what the
partition table looks like?

--
monique