Lindows was Re: This might be a darned fine Knoppix station

martin f krafft wrote:

also sprach Martin Jungowski <jungowsk@in.tum.de> [2003.09.26.0032 +0200]:
While we're on that subject, does anyone in here have any Lindows
experience? I remember that several years ago when it was first
announced, there was rumors about a "100% MS Windows compatible
Linux" that "will run every Windows application out of the box".
Did they really achieve that?

No, not even close. I think they ended up giving in and dropped that
line fro marketing.

I don't have any experiance with using LindowsOS, but I have kept tabs on it from time to time so I can have semi-informed conversations about it with friends and family.

I believe they were initially banking on CodeWeavers to to get winelib or some code based on winelib to a state where it would run all of Office2000 by the time they first released, but CodeWeavers said they didn't promise the emulation would be that fast (at least that's what I remember from the article) and it didn't happen.

It's interesting to see that since then LindowsOS has shifted their position to 'use all opensource code, and we'll try to find conversion filters' and CodeWeavers is now marketing the code on their own as CrossOver for around 50.00/US.

--
Jacob - is still looking for a better way to do email.