Re: Anti-Spam ideas for usenet/list harvested email addresses

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:36:10AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I disagree.  I can't think of any reason why I'd be mailing an executable to
> someone instead of a URL to where they can download it themselves, with the
> exception of development collaboration among people experienced enough to
> use *zip.

I can. I don't have a website.

> I only think that'd be a problem *if* Microsoft built an
> unzip-then-execute-er into Windows (which is admittedly not implausible).

I think some of the zip tools do this, or aren't far away from it, in
the name of trying to make the zipped-ness of the files as transparent
as possible.

> Why?  Because the first thing that gets permanently burned into your brain
> when you work in a tech support position is "people are lazy".  I can almost
> guarantee that requiring an additional couple of clicks before a Trojan
> installer can be run would drop infection rates by 90%.
>
> I think a more solid long-term strategy would be to write mail clients that
> make it impossible to automatically perform any action on an attachment more
> advanced than displaying a picture.  Want to play an attached MP3?  Save it
> to your drive then load it.  Want to open a .zip archive?  Save it to your
> drive first.  Refer back to "people are lazy".  Removing the "One-Click (TM)
> Infection" vector would dramatically reduce trojan distribution.

I do agree with this. But it's rather against the M$ philosophy, it
seems...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons