Re: Anti-Spam ideas for usenet/list harvested email addresses

At 2003-09-23T21:16:02Z, Ray <ray.list@powerweb.net> writes:

> perhaps if someone wrote the "don't f*&$ open me"[1] virus and had it go
> through a little tutorial about why not to open unknow attachments have
> message go something like "I was foolish enough to open the attachment,
> and since you are at risk of getting a message from me with a virus, this
> attachment has forwarded itsself to you"

Indeed.  You know, we're going through a lot of effort and hypothesizing do
to exactly one problem: Outlook* makes it easy for uneducated users to do
stupidly dangerous things.  That's it - the whole problem.  You don't get
junk from Macs or Mozilla users, and those are nice, easy-to-use GUI
clients.  We're having this entire conversation simply because Microsoft
refuses to make it more difficult to execute an attached file than clicking
on an attachment icon.

Out of curiosity, are there *any* legitimate reasons at all why you'd want
to mail an uncompressed executable to someone?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.