Re: Anti-Spam ideas for usenet/list harvested email addresses

At 2003-09-26T00:52:37Z, "Jacob Anawalt" <jacob@cachevalley.com> writes:

> If thousands of people were personally emailing me virus laiden emails,
> that's one thing, but that's not the case here. I'm getting thousands of
> emails from copies of a virus that isn't opening O* to send it's mail.

Same here, but they're from machines that were infected *by* an Outlook*
user opening their mail.

> I'm sure someone could pipe up about how it's hard to walk their
> grandma/client through installing *zip, which unfortunatly is a valid
> point. :(

I disagree.  I can't think of any reason why I'd be mailing an executable to
someone instead of a URL to where they can download it themselves, with the
exception of development collaboration among people experienced enough to
use *zip.

> Lets say all viruses start mailing zipped copies of themselves. They only
> have to zip themselves once on the host machine then mail that copy. Now
> we have to watch for a zip archive in mime data and unzip all mail to scan
> it, or reject zipped files as well. :(

I only think that'd be a problem *if* Microsoft built an
unzip-then-execute-er into Windows (which is admittedly not implausible).
Why?  Because the first thing that gets permanently burned into your brain
when you work in a tech support position is "people are lazy".  I can almost
guarantee that requiring an additional couple of clicks before a Trojan
installer can be run would drop infection rates by 90%.

I think a more solid long-term strategy would be to write mail clients that
make it impossible to automatically perform any action on an attachment more
advanced than displaying a picture.  Want to play an attached MP3?  Save it
to your drive then load it.  Want to open a .zip archive?  Save it to your
drive first.  Refer back to "people are lazy".  Removing the "One-Click (TM)
Infection" vector would dramatically reduce trojan distribution.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.