Re: Spamassassin Configuration

* Willem-Jan Meijer (willem-jan@computerdokter-groenlo.nl) [030927 06:54]:
> My antivirus is working well, but all those MS mails are very annoying
> Better delete before seeing it :)

Consider, at least temporarily, blocking anything with an exe attachment
at smtp time.  I started this a few days ago on my mail server (after
clearing it with all of my users first, of course -- I'm not _that_ much
of a BOFH) and it's been great.

I'm using exim4.  Andreas Metzler's packages (the stable backports)
include exiscan-acl.  I wonder how I ever lived without it!  Now I've
got a multi-tiered approach.  Black- and white-lists, block all
exe:vbs:scr:... attachments, and everything else goes through clamav.
All at smtp time.  So far, this has reduced the annoyance to the
misplaced bounces; we haven't seen any of the actual virus here at all.
(My rejectlog is getting large, though ;)

I did think (and still do think) that filename-based-blocking is pretty
lame, but recently it's been saving my clamscan from GiB of traffic.
All of my users said that they don't expect any attachments of those
extensions anyway, and have expressed relief at being able to use their
email again.  I'll probably lift the filename-based-block once the noise
dies down (if it ever does ... let's see a show of hands of those who
still get nimda nad code red in their error_logs!) and just leave it up
to clam -- which by the way, was recognizing the virus as Gibe.F from
the first day, as quick as the "big boys".  Kudos to the clam team and
community!

good times,
Vineet
--