Re: burning a CD

Op vr 26-09-2003, om 02:17 schreef Carla Schroder:
> On Thursday 25 September 2003 11:59 am, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> > I have put a CD with MS Office in one Linux Box.  I need to copy its
> > contents for burning on a separate Linux box. What is the best way to
> > do this?
> >
> > I supposed I could just copy the entire contents to a directory on the
> > second box. Or I could tar the contents to the Linux box, couldn't I,
> > and then somehow tell xcdroast to burn from a tar image?
> > Or, I supposed I could somehow mount the CDRom of the first box on the
> > second box and then just do a CD copy?
> >
> > I don't really know, I've never done this before.
> >
> > Curtis
>
> If it's Office 2000 or older, a simple disk copy will work. If it's XP, I
> don't know. If an ordinary disk copy does not work,  try the dd command, as
> it does a literal byte-by-byte copy. This should take care of any
> odd/hidden/sekkrit bits.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Carla Schroder
> www.tuxcomputing.com
> this message brought to you
> by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail

Not always. I tried dd once to make copy of a game i have and a program
(both legitimate copies of mine :) ) and after dd'ing and cdrecording
them, the copies where no good.
They were also for a win platform so there might be some parameters you
have to add for that to cdrecord, i'm not sure. But i've always wondered
why it worked with cdclone and not with the linux tools.

Benedict