keyboard/character problem

I've pretty recently installed debian and have had these problems from day 1. I'm a swedish user so naturally I use a swedish keyboard. My problem is that I cannot write the greather than- and smaller than-signs in any XFree-software including xterm and aterm (although it works fine in console). But the specieal swedish characters doesn't work in console/aterm/xterm although works fine in for example mozilla or licq. I've tried to loadkey every se-* keymap but without success. /etc/xf86config is configured as it should be.

Any ideas?