Re: apt-get upgrade: dpkg error

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:10:00PM -0300, Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:

> When I executed "apt-get upgrade", it cycled through

Since you are essentially upgrading from stable to testing, what you
should do is:

apt-get update
apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Since testing changes everyday, if you need to download files over
several days, you should repeat the apt-get update each day before you
start downloading.

> "Preparing to replace ..."
> "Unpacking replacement ..."
>
> some times until ending with
>
> "Unpacking replacement librpm4 ...
>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>   /var/cache/apt/archives/gettext-base_0.12.1-3_i386.deb

Testing now has gettext-base_0.12.1-6_i386.deb, download that file and
try again.

Or try putting the problem package on hold with:
echo gettext-base hold | dpkg --set-selections

> Yesterday at 6:00 am the download was complete and the system began to
> ask long lists of configuration questions. After some time I interrupted
> the PPP connection because my budget is limited, which provoked an error
> message.

Once all the packages are downloaded, you don't need to continue the
ppp connection. If you use apt-get's "--download-only" option,
apt-get will stop after downloading the package without installing
them. At that point you can kill the ppp connection and then proceed
with installation with another "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade".

> 1. indicate me the next step

Suggestion given above or:

[start your ppp connection]
apt-get update
apt-get --download-only -u dist-upgrade [or upgrade]
[stop your ppp connection after the download completes]
apt-get dist-upgrade [or upgrade]

> 2. give me a good argument that I am not walking in a circle?

To see what the upgrade plans to do before doing it, use options like
"-u" and "--simulate". If you don't like what is going to be done, you
can abort

If you downloaded the packages over several days without doing an
"apt-get update" before an "apt-get upgrade" you may have a set of
packages that are not completely consistent with regards to
dependencies. "apt-get upgrade" will not install all the packages you
need if you are upgrading to testing. As a check, try

apt-get --simulate -u upgrade  and then compare it to

apt-get --simulate -u dist-upgrade