Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:17:21 +1200
cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Conclusions:
>
> 1.   Back up the MBR and everything else, first!
> 2.   Be very, very careful when using 'map' to swap drives around
> 3.   It's probably safest to let DOS/Windows occupy Drive 1, where in its
> blinkered arrogance it thinks it belongs.   Linux can sit somewhere else.

I'm glad you were able to unscrew your system, but methinks you got lucky.

Having a backup of the MBR is nice but not necessary, and it probably isn't
sufficient most of the time. What you really need is to be able to re-create
all the partition tables, and if you use an extended partition not all that
information will be in the MBR.

To get a complete listing of partitions on all drives on your system do:

fdisk -ul > partitions.030926

which saves the output in a text file. Save that text file somewhere other
than on the system you may need to restore (such as a floppy or USB memory
device).

Should you need to recreate your partition table you can do so using fdisk
(not cfdisk and certainly not parted).

Kevin