Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)

On Friday 19 September 2003 21:12, cr wrote:

(DOS / Win95 / Win98 install)

> Next step, see if I can boot the whole thing with GRUB....
>
> cr

"Progress" report...     :)
The 'aaaargh' was prophetic....

Well, it all booted happily with Grub while it was Drive 1 in my spare PC.

So I put it in this box as /hdd, DOS would boot OK, but while I was faffing
around with 'map' and 'hide' trying to make Windows behave consistently,
*something* (whether me with Grub or Windows thinking it ought to be on Drive
1) went and munged /dev/hda5 where Debian lives.   First I knew of it was
'kernel panic' when trying to boot Deb.   I found that  /hda1  ( /boot)  was
OK, but   /hda5   (root)       and  /hda6    ( /swap)   seemed to have got
themselves lost in    /hda2.     And I *hadn't* backed up the mbr, nor did I
have a record of the exact partition size....

Soooooo...    I got a spare drive, installed Debian on it intending to see if
I could salvage the old /hda5 somehow, and in the midst of my usual battle to
the death with dselect I came across a little utility called  gpart  which
guesses partitions.   And, it works!    OK, relying on it is a bit like
driving your car into a power pole to check if the seat belts work, but
still, I'm damn grateful to its author.

Conclusions:

1.   Back up the MBR and everything else, first!
2.   Be very, very careful when using 'map' to swap drives around
3.   It's probably safest to let DOS/Windows occupy Drive 1, where in its
blinkered arrogance it thinks it belongs.   Linux can sit somewhere else.
We all know who's really in charge and it isn't Windows    ;)

cr