Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Friday 26 September 2003 22:03, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 16:31, cr wrote:

(snip)

> > dselect is actually not so bad on a one-app basis, it's trying to use it
> > to select all the apps for an install where it rapidly gets old.    ;)
>
> Call me weird, but unless I'm only installing one or two packages (which
> I'll just use apt-get to do) I think dselect is the best tool for the
> job. It lets you see recommended and suggested packages while
> automatically showing you which dependencies need to be installed. It's
> also the only really "intuitive" package manager I've found. It took me
> about 2 hours of playing with it to understand it.

With respect, if it takes a couple of hours to understand, I wouldn't call
that 'intuitive'.

And the other thing is, I guess, that first encountering it during the Debian
install process (and having to restart the whole process if you make a
mistake) is the worst possible time to get to know any piece of software.
But I won't belabour the point any further.

cr