Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 13:18, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 06:43, Ron Johnson wrote:
> --snip--
> > > Call me weird, but unless I'm only installing one or two packages (which
> > > I'll just use apt-get to do) I think dselect is the best tool for the
> > > job. It lets you see recommended and suggested packages while
> > > automatically showing you which dependencies need to be installed. It's
> > > also the only really "intuitive" package manager I've found. It took me
> > > about 2 hours of playing with it to understand it. I've tried aptitude
> > > and a few of the available GUI frontends (though I admit I've never
> > > tried kpackage) and even after 2 hours I just can't get the hang of 'em.
> > > Though I know of QUITE a few people who absolutely swear by aptitude.
> > > Personally, I couldn't be happier with dselect. :)
> >
> > apt-get and aptitude also show 'suggests' and 'recommends' packages.
>
> I believe that apt-get only recently started showing suggests and
> recommends. I know that when I first started using Debian a couple of
> years ago, apt-get would just go about its business without bothering
> you with any real questions or suggestions.

Yes, you're right.  It might be in sarge now, but did see it when
I installed the sid version a month or so ago.

> And my comments about dselect were not meant to be exclusive of other
> package managers. Every good package manager will show you suggests and
> recommends, I just tend to prefer the way that dselect does it for my
> own personal use.

Hey, understandable.  I was just passing on more info....

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition or
give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and break things".
Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.