Re: OT: rfc-ignorant RBL

on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:22:14PM +0200, martin f krafft (madduck@debian.org) wrote:
> Is anyone using the rfc-ignorant RBL? I have seen Karsten and Baloo
> report there, but testing it out right now, I immediately discovered
> that
>
>   - amazon.com does not accept postmaster@
>   - aol.com does not accept abuse@
>
> Thus I am wondering: is this at all useful? dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
> seems to be, but blocking aol.com and amazon.com would be a little
> harsh because I doubt that the decision fuckheads there would ever
> consider to change it.

Appropriate use of *any* RBL is for use in a weighted assessment of
spamminess.  I prefer use within a system that scores for
appropriateness of the metric, such as SpamAssassin.

If you have an interest in promoting standards, you can, of course,
explicitly reject mail based on the RFC-Ignorant RBL itself.  While I
wouldn't recommend this for a general-traffic, common-carrier site, its
the sort of policy which might work well on a domain for which standards
compliance is a high priority.  The issue is, after all, correctable.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/