Re: fetchmail and mailfilter

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 02:04:49AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Some answers, but still some questions.
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:34:03AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> For starters, I need to say mailfilter, not fetchmail.  Once I do so,
> in debug mode I see
>
> fetchmail: awakened at Thu Sep 25 00:59:57 2003
> fetchmail: 6.2.4 querying earthlink.net (protocol POP3) at Thu Sep 25 00:59:57 2003: poll started
> mailfilter: Error: The rcfile for preferences (usually $HOME/.mailfilterrc) could not be read.
> fetchmail: pre-connection command failed with status 65280
> fetchmail: 6.2.4 querying earthlink.net (protocol POP3) at Thu Sep 25 00:59:57 2003: poll completed
> fetchmail: Query status=5 (SYNTAX)
>
> This suggests that fetchmail preconnect is running as user fetchmail;
> it certainly doesn't seem to be running as me!  Note that this error
> prevents any downloading of mail.

You could try 'preconnect "touch /tmp/foo"', and see who owns /tmp/foo.

mailfilter appears to have been designed for personal use rather than
system-wide use, and for situations like a metered dialup, where you
connect manually and run fetchmail as your own user, since it's
undesirable to have things dialling up automatically and costing you
money. The solution, as Ron has pointed out, is not to run fetchmail
as a daemon but run it from cron as your own user.

> > And .mailfilterrc uses ~/ notation
> > LOGFILE=~/Mail/mailfilterlog
>
> By running mailfilter from the command line of my user account, I
> discovered that ~/ notation doesn't work for it.
>
> Also, I said
> TESTING
> initially, but proper syntax is
> TESTING=yes

s/ING//

> I filed a couple of bugs against fetchmail about this.

perhaps you should refile them against mailfilter? :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons