Re: apt-get problem (bug in apt-get?)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:37:25PM -0500, Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 08:32 pm, Darryl Barlow wrote:
> > Are you running unstable?  If so, as of the last time I checked, the
> > kdemultimedia package is broken.  A bug report was filed some time
> > ago but it has not yet been fixed.  This is one of the joys of
> > running unstable and the price to be paid for running a more
> > "cutting edge" distribution.  Personally I find it remarkably stable
> > but these things do happen from time to time.
>
> Well, I'm actually running a mixed system with "stable" preferred (but
> libc6 and other development packages are from unstable). So it's not a
> flat single distribution system -- and that may indeed be why I'm
> running into this kind of grief.

Quite possibly. I'd *strongly* recommend not doing that. There's
basically no point running stable if you're just going to upgrade its
libc6 to unstable ...

apt-get is known to react badly to slightly inconsistent systems, and
those are very easy to set up when trying to mix stable and unstable.

> But apt-get is refusing to *recognize* that it is installed at some
> times (when it's a dependency), but insisting that it is at other
> times (when you try to install it or when it conflicts).

'apt-get -f install' might help; but I think I'd use a more
sophisticated package manager to try to figure this out, not apt-get
which was originally written as a test utility for the apt library and
which doesn't have much facility for interacting with the user.

Cheers,