Re: logins and logouts hang

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:17:00PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:18:06PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >
> > ..uhmmm, yep, sounds like you spun it up _good_.  You probably fried
> > the motor or the fan bearings, in the former case you can blow the
> > fan up to speed with any kind of smokers lungs, in the latter case it
> > won't turn over without liberal use of your canned up air.
> > Either way, replace it.  ;-)
>
> Oh, man, a whole new psu?  Well, no CDs for my birthday *this* year. :(
> Thankfully, my birthday money is coming in 'cause my birthday is next
> Tuesday.  Or can I just replace the fan?  I have another psu sitting around
> here and its fan is perfectly fine, it's just a mite underpowered  to put in
> this computer.  But do you think I should try to swap fans, or would I
> prolly kill myself?

PSU fans are often connected to the circuit board with the same type
of connectors that case and CPU fans connect to the motherboard with,
so they're easy to swap.

The dangerous part - as long as the PSU isn't switched on :-) - is the
charge retained in the live-side reservoir capacitors for hours,
sometimes days, after it's switched off. (Better PSUs have bleed
resistors to drain this off in a reasonable time.) This is decidedly
unpleasant but not lethal unless you have a heart problem. It also
causes fairly spectacular bangs if you discharge it through a metal
object.

You can leave it around for days after switching it off to be on the
safe side; if you power down the computer by pulling the mains plug,
however, most of the charge goes into powering the computer's dying
breath and there is very little left in the reservoir capacitors.

Changing the fan will probably not involve dismantling the PSU to the
point where the connections to the reservoir capacitors become
accessible - chances are you'll unscrew the cover, unplug the old fan,
plug in the new one and screw the cover back on. If you hold the plug
with pliers to unplug/plug it so your fingers don't go inside the case
and keep your other hand behind your back, that's about as safe as you
can get.

> > ..your air compressor, is also useable for truck tires or diver
> > air bottles, or just to "redust" your place?  Air is _fun_.  ;-)
> > My advice next time, is Moderation[Tm].  ;-)
>
> Um, it has a tire attachment, I just found out this weekend.  My parents use
> it for everything from blowing up bike tires to cleaning dust out of the
> computers to cleaning dust out of ceramic molds. *shrug*  I assumed it was
> safe, since my dad said so.  *sigh*  Shouldn't have aimed it at the psu, eh?

I find my lungs are generally good enough. And it's good lung exercise
to counteract the effects of smoking :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons