Re: ls: filename: Input/output error

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:41:11 +0800,
Simon Tneoh Chee-Boon <simon.tneoh@mybiz.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3F7174C6.78986396@mybiz.net>:

> Hello all,
>    Thanks in advance for any helps.
>    When I list the content of a directory, I can't see the file.
>    But when I execute "ls -al filename", I got "Input/output error".
>    I just wonder, can I remove this file by using commands like
> "debugfs"?
>    If yes, can I do it without shutting down my server, because it's a
> live environment?
>    If no, what is the right way to remove this file? Or maybe fix it?
>    Thanks.

..cp'ing in a new ls _should_ work.  You also wanna compare it with
what _should_ be there, I guess a "pro" linux box is a bigger fish
than any Wintendo for the script-kiddies out there.

..tail -f syslog, hop it up to debug or untill it tells you what's
going on, hdparm etc tools that talk with the hardware, it could be
anything from a failing disk thru power glitches.

..chk that your destination disk is writeable, df, mount, and even
cat /proc/mounts may get this wrong with a dead journal, IMext3-E,
chk dumpe2fs or ditto for your own fs, reiserfs, jsf, xfs etc.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: