Re: xplanet with gnome (root window in general)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:12:30PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
| Hi group,
|
| How can I run xplanet with gnome without resorting to generating images
| over and over and using them as backdrop? I simply want to be able to
| see the root window in gnome. Then, I can use whatever program I like
| just as in any other window manager.

Start that program _after_ gnome-session has painted the root window.
Then it won't be stomped on unless you change gnome's background in
the control center.  (or just wait until xplanet updates the
background (if you use xplanetbg) and then it will overwrite the gnome
background)

OTOH there may be a way to tell gnome not to touch the root window,
but I don't recall such.

Or just don't run gnome-session.  (I am using this alternative now
because I want a lighter-weight setup)

-D

--
Pride only breeds quarrels,
but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/