Re: MS mail bombs

daniel said:
> Wayne Gemmell wrote:
[snip]
>> I can't see any solution to this. Downloading this amount of mail during
>> the
>> day would cost me a fortune *sniff*
>>

> Maybe it sounds drastic but I even thought of making some type of acl of
> who can send me e-mail and deny the rest with a msg of "If you really
> want to Send me E-mail send a mail with the Subject "Request to send you
> e-mail", setting another e-mail account  in which only subjects like
> "Request to send you e-mail" would allow me to know if somebody who
> wants to send me e-mail, and therefore I would allow their addresses is
> that is what I want...

There's a company that provides this service. First time emails to you get
an auto-response "You aren't authorized to send me email, visit this web
page to get authorized" or something like that. I Googled and can't find
it again. Interesting idea.

Another is to use disposable email addresses for lists and usenet and then
rotate email addresses when you get spammed, or just every so often for
good measure. Sneakmail.com talks about this and provides a service. Too
bad I had read about this idea but forged ahead w/ the email I like. An
advantage of switching email addresses is that the email is rejected
before the SMTP server commits to the DATA section. The disadvantages of
shuffling email addresses are obvious. One article I read suggested using
a sensible method of picking new usernames - with the date in it. Eg.
jacobJulDec2003@...

--
Jacob
Trying out SquirrelMail