Re: xplanet with gnome (root window in general)

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 03:11, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:12:30PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> | Hi group,
> |
> | How can I run xplanet with gnome without resorting to generating images
> | over and over and using them as backdrop? I simply want to be able to
> | see the root window in gnome. Then, I can use whatever program I like
> | just as in any other window manager.
>
> Start that program _after_ gnome-session has painted the root window.
> Then it won't be stomped on unless you change gnome's background in
> the control center.  (or just wait until xplanet updates the
> background (if you use xplanetbg) and then it will overwrite the gnome
> background)

No, it won't. At least not in sid. Xplanetbg is deprecated and its
functionality is taken over by xplanet. Anyway, nothing happens, but
when I quit gnome, I see the xplanet picture on the background. I also
tried the virtual root window option, but that doesn't work as well, :-(

> OTOH there may be a way to tell gnome not to touch the root window,
> but I don't recall such.
>
> Or just don't run gnome-session.  (I am using this alternative now
> because I want a lighter-weight setup)

Maybe I'll try that...

Thanks,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!