Re: Wireless letworking

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:12:55PM -0400, Mark Roach wrote:
> I have never used config.opts for that sort of thing, I have always just
> configured the card using /etc/network/interfaces and up statements.
> Have you tried using iwconfig manually to set the essid/mode/channel
> etc? Here's an example of the config stanza I use for my wireless card
> (a prism2/orinoco card).
>
> iface eth1 inet static
>         address 192.168.150.13
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 192.168.150.1
>         up iwconfig eth1 mode ad-hoc essid roach channel 5
>         up cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.wlan.bak
>         up cp /etc/resolv.conf.wlan /etc/resolv.conf
>         down cp /etc/resolv.conf.wlan.bak /etc/resolv.conf
>         broadcast 192.168.150.255
>         network 192.168.150.0

At least in debian/unstable ifupdown, iwconfig support is integrated.
That means that you don't need to use the up clause but can write things
like:

iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.150.13
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.150.1
        essid roach

See man interfaces for more details.

Christophe

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
--Ellen Perry Berkeley