Re: Flash plug-in hangs Mozilla (sid)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:30:22 +0200, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded and installed Macromedia Flash plug-in for Mozilla
> (1.4-4). When browsing to a web location with flash content, the browser
> hangs.

I guess you have some app playing sound in the background. Maybe it's a
music player such as XMMS, or a sound daemon (watch out for ESD, ARTS,
JACK, ...)

If your soundcard can only handle one app at a time (most cheap onboard
sound chips), then Mozilla will hang until you let the stupid Flash plugin
access your soundcard.

Possible strategies:

a) Get a real soundcard. I like my SB Live very much, and would never
again rely on onboard solutions. It has _much_ better sound quality, and
is well-supported by ALSA.

b) Use your sound daemon. Probably, you're already running one. Put it to
use, and run Mozilla via a wrapper such als esddsp or artsdsp. IIRC the
Debian packages for Mozilla even can do that automatically for you. Try to
dpkg-reconfigure your Mozilla :-)

> modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1 modprobe: Can't locate module
> sound-service-1-0

The stupid thing tries to grab the second sound device, but you don't have
one. (Insert the usual anti-Flash rant here.)

> I wonder if somebody is using this plug-in in his sid box successfuly.
> Any feedback will be very useful for me, so thanks in advance.

My success varies a lot. The only websites which yield browser crashes are
those with Flash advertising. It's not reproducible, but it happens. May
well be Galeon's fault, too, although I don't think so.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!