Re: /etc/aliases

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I think the only two that you *must* receive mail for is 'postmaster'
> > and 'abuse', IIRC.  So I think the others can be bounced without fear
> > of any problems.
>
> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/ lists:
>
>   - DSN <>
>   - postmaster
>   - abuse
>   - whois
>   - ipwhois
>
> Failure to respect other recommended addresses may or may not result in

What other addresses?  I see only 'abuse' and 'postmaster' there.
Please enlighten me.

The 'DSN <>' lists sites that reject MAILER-DAEMON <> messages.  The
'whois' and 'ipwhois' lists sites that have bad data in those
respective databases.  None of those are mail addresses.

In ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2142.txt
   Most organizations do not need to support the full set of mailbox
   names defined here, since not every organization will implement the
   all of the associated services.  However, if a given service is
   offerred, then the associated mailbox name(es) must be supported,
   resulting in delivery to a recipient appropriate for the referenced
   service or role.

That last sentence is the important one.  If you run a mail server
then you must accept abuse to it.  So by definition all mail sites
should accept mail to abuse.  But if you don't run a web server then
there is no requirement to accept mail to webmaster.  If you don't run
a DNS server then no need to accept mail to hostmaster.  Etc.

Bob