Re: /etc/aliases

on Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:14:36AM -0700, moseley@hank.org (moseley@hank.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:58:54AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>

> > > Here's my list of aliases.  Do any processes/applications send to these
> > > addresses?
> >
> > In general, they may.
> >
> > In general, the solution is:
> >
> >   - Alias system addresses to root.
> >   - Alias root to the user responsible for the system, or a site-wide
> >     administrative address.
> >   - Alias your sitewide administrative alias to a person who *reads* and
> >     *has the authority to act on* the mail.  And does.
>
> My "problem" is that those aliases are well known.  So the spammers
> are now using those addresses for both sending me spam and for use as
> forged addresses to others (and then I get the bounces).

By all means filter mail to these aliases against spam and viruses.

In some cases, *not* reading this mail, bouncing it, or otherwise
indicating that the address is invalid or inactive, may result in your
site being listed with services such as rfc-ignorant.org

Many of these addresses _don't_ need to be externally addressable,
though these are also the ones you probably don't receive much mail at.
You should leave open postmaster, webmaster, news, and abuse,
particularly if you provide the associated services.

> This is more an Exim question -- and I posted to the exim list asking
> about a solution.  (My guess is the answer is to upgrade to exim 4.)
> But I was asking if there was a way to allow local processes to use
> one aliase file and external (incoming) mail use another.
>
> The response I got from the exim list post was to remove the aliases.
> I'm not if I did that what would happen if a process tried sending
> mail there (i.e. where would it bounce, if at all).

See above.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/