Re: Debian

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:22:31PM -0700, gerald simpkin wrote:
> I checked to see if I could turn off the html characteristics of the
> email sent when using free yahoo email. I could not find a
> configuration tool to send this in plain text so I am sorry in advance
> about this email.  What I am most concerned about is getting help with
> the Debian problem I described (although it should be noted to send
> questions in plain text if that is the way you want to get it). I went
> to the Debian organizations website and it said if a new user
> (paraphrasing) has a problem to send questions to this email address
> (did not mention format). I got your message now what about an answer
> to my question? Is there a site I can go to for this information? Do
> you know how to solve this problem?
> If you want Debian to be the Linux flavor for professional programmers
> then form a private club and remove the manifesto from the website. If
> you want the Debian flavor to survive then I advise you to consider
> the masses otherwise it'll be a project of you and a thousand or so
> programmers.

I would recommend not using yahoo mail in that case. Simply send using
your isp's or a third party's smtp server as a smarthost. And use yahoo
mail to read the replies.

For example my isp's smtp server is relais.videotron.com. To set up
any mail program with my yahoo mail I would do the following:
Name: Bijan Soleymani
Email: rsoleymani@yahoo.com
Incoming Server: none@invalid.com (you don't care about receiving mail)
Outgoing Server: relais.videotron.com

Of course make sure to replace outgoing server with whatever your isp's
server is.

Then you should be able to tell the program to not use html and wrap
properly etc.

I hope this helps.

P.S. A note on your remark about Debian and professional programmers,
etc. Sending mail is not professional programming, it's a very basic
skill.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>