Re: starting different window managers

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 11:57:17AM +0200, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> I prefer the text console over X, whenever it is appropriate.
> The downside is, that my knowledge about X is very limited.
> I just installed kde which I use rarely ;-)
>
> Now I'm trying to build an box for audio work, where kde is too heavy.
> So I would like to try out some lightweight windowmanagers.  What is an
> easy way to start different window managers (so I can try them out)?
> I'm working on Debian unstable.

kdm allows you to choose window manager at login time, that's
the gui-can't-give-it-up method, or you can just use startx,
kill whatever window manager is running and start the one you
want to that's the ultra-geek method, or you could use
update-alternatives to update 'x-window-manager' to point to
your wm of choice, which is the debian method.

The kdm approach requires you to have the x-server running
all the time.  The startx method does not, and the debian
method requires you to restart X after a change, so would
work either way.

Take your pick.

--
Mark Kent