Re: Installing Debian with no CD drive and only USB dsl modem.

on Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:08:35PM +0100, Ed (ejs@blueyonder.co.uk) wrote:

> I'm trying hard to install Debian. I have no CDROM drive. And my
> connection to the internet is through a USB dsl modem, which makes the
> net install extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Do you have alternative networking HW?  I'm given to understand that USB
DSL networking is iffy at best.  An ethernet => DSL modem connection
will be far more reliable.

> I have tried a hard disk install by mounting the ISO image, but the
> debian installer refuses to install from it. So now i am looking for
> ways to do a Net install with the USB dsl modem.
>
> I have got the base system installed already, with the floppy disks.
> I used the special kernel image that has support for USB devices.
> However, it doesn't seem to support VIA USB controllers, So of course
> the modem will not work.  I know the USB modem can work under linux,
> because I have used it under Slackware.

Find out what the Slackware configuration is/was, and apply it to your
Debian system.

> I have a kernel image that I got from the peanut linux install files.
> They use this kernel in a very similair way to how debian does, with a
> 'ram.bat' file and the initrd line.  I know the peanut kernel supports
> my USB setup, so i tried to replace linux.bin with that.

I'm not familiar with this.

Your options:

  - Work out the specific support required for your modem under Debian.
    I'd recommend posting a new question specifying, say, "USB DSL modem
    - VIA USB support".  Detail your kernel, modem type, configuration,
    error output, etc.

  - Use alternative networking hardware, as suggested above.

  - Use a second system to provide networking via the USB modem until
    you have your Debian system installed.

Peace.

   KQED FM:  The bright spot on the dial:  http://www.kqed.org/fm/