Re: OT: BT Broadband - which ADSL modem?

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 14:45, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:15:35PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 18:21, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Which ADSL modem
> > >
> > > o has an ethernet port
> > > o works with BT broadband
> > > o offers most bang per buck
> >
> > I have combined the modem and firewall by installing a Bewan adsl card,
> > which has Linux support:
> > http://www.bewan.com/bewan/products/adsl/bwadslpcist.php
>
> Cheers for that - it looks rather nice.  Hope you don't mind if I ask a
> couple of questions.
>
> Are there any issues with it being internal, as with winmodems?
> Does it steal much cpu (I hope to put this in a P60)?

I haven't noticed any problems with response time on that machine.  The
current load average reported by tload is:

 0.01, 0.04, 0.01

> The PDF techspec says "standard ATM driver" - does this take much
> figuring out?  Is it a kernel configuration issue?

It needs a kernel with ATM enabled, some kernel modules which I got from
http://www.linuxdsl.co.uk/ and it needs a patched version of ppp, which
they provide as a binary, but which I built from source according to the
instructions at http://www.wlug.org.nz/LinuxPPPoA

> What spec PC do you have it in, and how many other NICs are there in it?
> Does it provide any other services?  How loaded does it get?

It's a pc with a Duron processor, 512Mb memory and a 40Gb IDE disk; it's
using shorewall as a firewall.  It runs my incoming mailserver, with
MailScanner, spamassassin and clamav to filter spam and viruses (using
the daemon versions of both) and Cyrus IMAP server to receive mail for
users on other machines.  It's also got an Apache server running, but
that has only 1 static page to serve, together with sugarplum (to poison
spam address harvesters).  It is doing a bit more than my previous
gateway machine, but that was a 486 with only 64Mb memory, which tended
to choke up when too much mail came in at once (and that was just
sendmail, with no filtering).  I would guess that a P60 would be fine as
gateway and firewall, but I would pass email through to another machine
for filtering.

     "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that
      there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now
      herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open
      you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a
      blessing, that there shall not be room enough to
      receive it."           Malachi 3:10